How to find your Signature StyleFeb 02, 2023
Now that you have an idea of what a signature style is (if not, I explain it in this blog post), let’s dive into what steps you actually need to take to find it!
- If you’re a beginner: don’t think about it! Your style will come to you naturally through regular practice. Focusing on it too much in the early stages can distract you. Finding your style is a process and it can not happen overnight.Your signature style will start to peak through your work naturally once you embrace your journey.
- Be a sponge! Surround yourself with beauty, art, and things that inspire you. Go to the museums, travel, explore social media, and find inspiration wherever you can. Make a moodboard with all of your favorite art and try to identify what are the recurring elements that make these works so special to you ? Make a list of all these elements and try to incorporate them into your work without copying any particular piece.
- Be bold! Don’t be afraid to experiment, especially in the early stages when you’re still searching for your favorite medium. Try new subjects, new techniques, and new ways of painting (from life, from memory, from imagination, etc.) Don’t hide within the comfort zone of what you already know.
- Be consistent. Experiments are necessary throughout your whole creative journey but you will grow as an artist quicker if you narrow your focus. Choose a medium and a niche (landscapes, portraits, children’s illustration, nature illustration, etc.) and stick to it for at least a while. It doesn’t mean that you’re not allowed to do other things. But the boundaries that you create for yourself intentionally will allow you to direct your efforts in one place and find your signature style quicker.
- Look at your own work. Make a moodboard or just look at your Instagram feed. What do you see there? Identify what elements you really like in your work. Write them down and use them in your work intentionally.
- Own imperfections & give yourself time! Finding your signature style is a journey. Be patient with yourself and enjoy the process!
- Search for constructive criticism. Find a person or a group of people that can give you valuable and honest feedback. It should not necessarily be your friend or your family member. Find someone who understands art and who will give you valuable advice and support. It will help you to learn your strong sides and become aware of what you should work on.
- If you finally found your unique style, first of all, congratulations! But don’t be afraid to evolve! Don’t think you need to stop there. Keep trying new things and search for new ways of expression that feel authentic to you. One of the most important things is to enjoy the process and feel good about your work. So if you feel the need to change something or try different things, go for it, and don’t let your style hold you back!
These are the steps that helped me to find my own style and evolve it throughout the years. I hope that it will help you on your journey. If you have your own tips on finding a signature style that you would like to share with others, please leave them in the comments! Until next time!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.